Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Fear: why do we fear?

Fam,

As I prepare today for the first meeting with the Impact student leaders, I feel fear. But why? I was electrified over this entire summer and waiting for the students to return so we can make an impact at Howard's campus. I sat down with the three ladies who returned and were in the Impact Leadership team last spring semester. One agreed to be a leader, another still does not know yet, and one said something striking. She said that she doesn't know why she wouldn't, but she does feel "fear". Some of us know the verse from 2 Timothy 1:7 - "For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but a spirit of power, of love and of a sound mind."

I didn't feel fear then which was a few days ago. But, then I talked to my wife yesterday who asked me about the plans for this semester and I gave her my vision and everything. Then she asked me what did the student leaders want. I didn't have an answer. She told me that I sounded like I had my own agenda and not listening to the students. Oh no! And fear hit me. I didn't know what the students wanted and did I even ask? Did I ask and they told me, yet I didn't listen?

Fear is gripping my heart right now. But, thank God, this is not my first time feeling fear. Fear is nothing new. What is new is the measure of strength I receive from the Lord when I depend on Him throughout my circumstances that are uncertain, throughout my moments of fear, and throughout my ignorance and awareness that I have blindspots even though I don't know what they are. I depend on Jesus Christ and the Spirit. He will guide me like he did Israel during the Great Exodus. He is my God.

So, I will stay encouraged and not pay any attention to my fear. I am thankful that I feel it, and acknowledge it, but will let my faith control it. May the Lord bless my student leaders this year and have them faithful.

"So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life - not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace (of Christ Jesus)."
- 2 Timothy 1:8-9

Phileo Love,
G2

No comments:

Post a Comment